Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Praise Him!

Psalm 92:1 "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High:"

Praise, a word mentioned 248 times in scripture. A pretty important concept that God wants us to learn. What do you think of when you hear the word praise? Do you think of uplifted hands, shouting, crying, praying, being down on bended knee? There are certainly varied ways to praise Him. All of those things I just mentioned can be forms of praise but so can the simple things in life such as seeing a beautiful sunset and recognizing the fact that your God created that. Giving of your time to help someone in need and being joyful in the midst of that. Loving someone when it is hard to do so because you know God loved you while you were still a sinner (Romans 5:8). Oh there are so many ways to praise Him. I also think that having an attitude of gratitude is a way to praise Him. Our desire to serve Him because of who He is shows that we think he is worthy of praise. Worthy of our life service.

This life makes it hard to praise Him sometimes. Maybe your jobs aren't going well, your kids seem ungrateful, the economy is scary, the time of year is hectic, your health is bad, you may hear the word "cancer" at you next doctor visit, You feel unappreciated, the family doesn't get together or get along anymore. Yes, there are lots of obstacles that try their best to keep us from praising but we have to keep going back to the basics. We don't have to go to hell. We do not have to slaves to sin anymore. We have been redeemed! We have a home in heaven with the King of kings and Lord of lords!! Now that is worthy of praise! I feel like one of the most rewarding results of praise is that it gives us a rewarding feeling knowing that satan hasn't won the battle in that area and that our father DOES feel appreciated. I don't ever want Jesus to feel like I am not happy with all that he has blessed me with, however, sadly I'm sure He has. But I want to start each day with a joyful, appreciative attitude. I want to say "Good Morning Jesus. Thank you for saving an old sinner like me and no matter what today holds I'll praise you and I'll rest in knowing you hold today!"

1 comment:

Danita said...

Amen, Sister!!! I've learned that if you want to grow in Christ, then you must Praise Him........but not just in the good times, but in the bad times, too. That's the time to praise Him even more, to know that your situation is terrible and looks hopeless, you can still give praise to a God who gave EVERYTHING to save a wretch like me, so even on my worst day, I still can praise His name!