Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bible Study

Hey ladies! Last night was the 2nd month in our Bible study this year entitled "Seeking Him" and I promised I would post a few highlights for those who were unable to come.

Each lesson has a section called "Going deeper into the Word" and this past month's passages were wonderful. One passage sent you to II Kings to read about Josiah. That is what the Lord led me to teach on. I actually used the passage in II Kings 22 and the passage in II Chronicles 34.

I first asked the ladies to think back to when they were 8 years old. Did they remember their 3rd grade teacher. Most of the women did remember. Then I asked them to try to remember specific details about events that happened when they were 8. For me it was my 3rd grade teacher who looked just like the Bionic Woman, taking me and my friends to the circus and paying for us to ride the elephants. It was a wonderful memory. I also remembered the Eskimo Spitz dog I had named "Skippy" who was the best playmate ever! But one thing I can't tell you is the responsibilities I had at 8. That's because there were none!! I mean, yes I had to go to school and obey my parents but responsibilities were not a worry of mine. Josiah was 8 years old when he was made king of Israel. The people in the Bible were just like us. They were real people. Josiah was a real little 8 year old boy with missing teeth and real fears and real tears like every 8 year old. Something to think about.

Here's the Division's I had for the lesson.

II Chronicles 34
Division I.

Josiah's steps to Standing, Seeking, and Serving

V2 - He stood for what was right - Even as a child he stood for what was right. He knew the Lord.
The Revival in Israel was youth Led.

When was the last time you stood against the crowd for what you believed in?
Do you use your age or qualifications as excuses to why you can't stand up for the Lord?

Verse 3 - He begins to Seek

How many years was it between the time you were saved and when you really started seeking the Lord?

Josiah's life demonstrates the process of growth after salvation.

Verses 3-7 - He begins to Serve

He brake down, cut down and ground up the idols in Israel

What is it in your life that needs to be cut down?

Are there remnants of distractions in your life that need to be ground up into dust?

What must God brake down in your life before you'll return to Him?

Division II.

Josiah Commands, Cleans Up, Confesses and Consecrates


Verse 8 - The Command & Clean up

Why did Josiah not repair and clean up the temple first? He knew that until the idols in the people's lives were cut down and removed there could be no worship. The same is true with us. You can go to church every service in a beautiful building but until you have cut down and removed the things that you are putting before the Lord there will be no worship.

Verse 19 - The confession/repentance

The Word still has power to convict today

When has the Word brought you to a place of confession of who you are when compared to a Holy God?

Consecration II Kings 23:2

The Revival was Word fed.

What importance do you place on the reading of God's Word?

That's just a quick outline of the lecture last night. I hope it encourages you as you read the passage.

The discussion was a blessing and the ladies insight was wonderful as always. If you weren't able to come ....we missed you and pray you'll be able to come next month. Remember it is the last class until January because we take December off due to all the Christmas activities. We are doing lesson 2 and 3 for this next month so work hard and dig in and see what God has for you!

God Bless you ladies!!

1 comment:

Danita said...

Just wanted to let you know just what a great job you are doing with the Bible study. Again, I wish I could be there in person. I appreciate your posts, they are helpful! Thank you for allowing God to use you! I love you!