Thursday, November 20, 2008

It could have been a commercial......

Bottom Round Roast......$10.00

Creamed Corn............$5.00

Creamed Potatoes........$3.00

Cornbread...............$2.00

Having my family sit around the table and share their day and their laughter......

PRICELESS!!!!!!


Call Mastercard and tell them we're in.....we have their next commercial! LOL!

It really is priceless though. When we all come to the table we bring lots of variety. There's Hannah who talks non stop about her day, what she and Lauren did in Coach O'Neals class that cracked them up and then she begins laughing all over again and it makes us all laugh because Hannah's laugh is contagious for sure!! Then there's Hope who very quietly and patiently waits for her turn to share something about ROTC and maybe her plans for the future. I also love watching Hope when Hannah is telling a story because she smiles and laughs right along with Hannah. Even though Hannah's tenacity and spunkyness gets on Hope's nerves they are two of the very things she admires about her as well. Then there's Ben who you can tell is really enjoying his food, talks about his day at Fastenal and what stock he has put out and how he unloaded the truck and maybe about a colorful customer he had that day, something that he and Rock might have talked about, or maybe something new the Lord has shown him that day. Doug and I interject from time to time but it is just a joy for us to hear our kids. To listen to them and feel like we are a part of their lives.

Our table isn't just a place to set your plate, it is a place where we connect and our love grows for one another. Some nights the food may be simple and some nights it may look like a homecoming (depending upon my mood and our finances..lol) but it is always a place of unity and love. We give thanks every time before we eat but I assure you my heart is not just blessing the food.....it is thanking God for the honor of being with my family.

I know of another table that one day I will sit at and fellowship with my loved ones and that is at the Lord's table in heaven. I can't help but think how excited he is at the thought of that day when all his kids are finally home and sitting around his table. I'm sure the thought tugs at the very heart strings of God. You know, Ben isn't actually my biological child but he's mine all the same. I'd fight for him, nurture him, take care of him when he is sick, give him whatever he needed...I love him....he's mine. That's the way God's family is....we've been adopted in. If you are not in this family, if you are not sure that you will get to be seated at that table one day then please ask Jesus to become your father. He's waiting with open arms of mercy and love. There is NO sin to big that he can't forgive it. You just have to let him in.....he's patiently waiting. Open your heart's door. I want to see you at the table!

1 comment:

Danita said...

So true! Some of the best times are shared around the dinner table! Just think of the joy and laughter that will be at the marriage supper!!!! Oh, won't it be wonderful there.......having no burdens to bear!