Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cleaning Out!

I've just came from Hannah's room.....let me rephrase that...I just came from cleaning out Hannah's drawers in her room and her closet. My youngest daughter doesn't share the same passion for organization as I do and that's fine. I try to "let it go" so to speak but I do have limits upon which I can stand it no longer and so I dive in and clean and organize. Will it stay that way?......NO!............Does it really matter to her?.............again...NO!....Does it make me feel better for a while.............YES!!! ....OH YES!!....lol.

As I pulled out all that was in her dresser drawers my first thought was....How does she find anything?....and my second thought was "Wow...I have to admit I'm impressed with the amount of "stuff" she can fit into one single drawer!" I had a whole wardrobe practically by the time I cleaned out just 4 drawers. I made one drawer for shorts....well, let me be more specific...I made one drawer for shorts and one side of that drawer was for sophie shorts and the other for basketball and soccer shorts. I made a drawer for t=shirts....the knit variety and one for sport shirts such as jerseys from previous seasons and sports. I made a drawer for jeans, one for sweats and hoodies. It is wonderful. lol! I found probably 10 or 12 white cami/tanks in these drawers and was surprised because I didn't know she even had that many. I found shirts that were Hope's that she probably has been looking for. I found some things that have to belong to other kids that have been left over here and I've washed and Hannah has stuck in her drawer instead of taking them back to the appropriate owner. The thing that is funny about this is that to look at her room on a daily basis you'd think it was spic and span! She makes her bed almost every day.....keeps her dresser cleaned off........things picked up out of the floor....I mean, it looks really good. But it is the inside that needs the work.

Isn't that just like us as Christians? We work so hard on the outside. Us ladies color our hair, use all kinds of product in it, makeup on before we go out into the world, lotions, creams, nose-strips for dirty pores, flat irons, curling irons, Undergarments that promise to make us look good, we look at closets full of clothes and see nothing to wear, we really do work on the outside. Don't get me wrong, I think you should look as good as you can for your husband. I want Doug to always be proud to be with me. But how disappointed people would be if they could see my insides at times. Do you think that may be one reason David said in Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me and know my thoughts. And see if there be any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." Or in Psalm 51 David says "Create in me a clean heart O God, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. "

David knew how it was to have the outside in order, he was a king....the king of Israel and yet it took a faithful man of God named Nathan to point out the condition of his heart.

It took me several HOURS to clean out all those drawers and put things in the proper place and order, how long will it take us spiritually to "clean out" and "put in order" the things in our lives we have so well tucked away? We too may be surprised at how much "stuff" we've crammed in our hearts that really doesn't need to be there. God help me to allow you to show me my heart and soul as YOU see it and help me clean it up!

2 comments:

Danita said...

I can sooooo relate, lol! I myself spent 3 hours in Riley's room yesterday. I ended up with 3 bulging garbage sacks....and a little more sanity...until the next time! I get so frustrated with her.......why can't she have the desire to be...and stay organized as I do? She'll try for a while, but then it's back to all sorts of things underneath her bed, in corners, in the closet floors. It's just not in her (right now anyway)....I must accept that. Isn't it wonderful to know that God desires us to be like him, and even though we try and often fail, He won't give up...He loves us anyway! I must say I just had to chuckle when reading your blog.....I was in the same place....had the same frustrations and the same thoughts as you.......how funny......we are so on the same wave length most of the time......we even clean out our dreaded baby girl's rooms on the same day, and we are 6 hours apart, lol! Love you so much...can't wait to hear from you soon!!!

Danita said...

I can soooo relate!!! I myself spent over 3 hours yesterday in Riley's room.....I came out worn out and with 3 bulging garbage bags!! How does she do it! She never ceases to amaze me......just when I think I've seen it all.....I find something else in that cave of hers, lol!

Isn't it great to know that God loves us no matter what? Riley knows exactly where I stand on cleanliness and organization. God love her...she tries, but after a while, I have to step in and get her room the way I want it to be. God does the same thing, I'm sure he can't help but laugh at times....but then he steps in and gently helps us along. I'm so grateful for that! God help me to worry more about 'cleaning out' the inside of myself, rather than just the up keep on the outside! Thanks for your sweet reminder!

Isn't it funny that though we are 6 hours apart, we were doing the same thing.....cleaning out our sweet baby girls' pig styes! LOL

Love you!!

Danita