Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our Pilgrimage

Have you ever looked up the definition for pilgrim? We often think about pilgrims at Thanksgiving. Elementary school age children may dress up like them or do a play in which they act as a pilgrim. But we who are born again and are living the Christian life are pilgrims too. Here's Webster's definition.

Pilgrim - a person who travels to a holy place. 2. a person who travels about; wanderer.

We fit that description don't we??? As God's child I am a wanderer in a world that does not love Him. A world that does not respect Him. A world that does not fear Him. I am traveling through until it is time to go to the holy city called heaven where my Father is waiting. You know, this could kinda seem sad and a bit discouraging, I mean, we are not welcome here and we certainly don't "fit" in. I have found a verse in Psalm 119 that encourages me and I want to share it with you!

Psalm 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.

Once again it is the WORD that makes the difference! We can actually have joy in this pilgrimage. The Word of God can give us a song! If we live our lives basing every decision whether big or small by God's word we will have a song. I know at times I have quickly read a verse and considered my "devotion" done for the day but what an injustice I have done to not only my God but to myself! I MUST take it in and build a foundation upon which I can stand when times are hard! Remember ladies, you can not pour concrete in the rain.....pour it when the sun is shining so that when the rains come you can stand upon the firm foudation you have built! The Word is the concrete!

Farther down in that Psalm in verse 62 it says "At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments." I think the Psalmist must have dwelt on how good the Word was and had to get out of bed just to Praise God! I want to praise Him now....HE IS WORTHY!

Keep walking dear pilgrim......and keep singing!

No comments: